Today’s blog topic is “20 Facts About Me.” (deep breath) Here goes!
1. I have wanted to fly a Learjet since the first moment I caught sight of one of those sexy beasts sitting coyly on the tarmac. As a cargo pilot, I finally got my chance, and each and every hour I logged at the controls of that glorious machine was better than the last.
2. When I was a child, I wanted to be a fire truck. Not a firefighter, a fire truck. I loved the blaring horn and sirens and was determined to be just as loud forever.
3. Contrary to popular belief, I’m an introvert. I feel awkward in most social situations and I usually pull at least one George Costanza a week by thinking of the best comment ever days after I had the opportunity to say it.
4. I love to read science fiction and fantasy. I used to steal my parents’ Omni and Asimov magazines and read them at night by flashlight under the covers.
5. I don’t scream on roller coasters, I laugh. In fact, I laugh hysterically, which is why I can never be an aerobatic pilot in spite of my complete fangirl adoration of Patty Wagstaff.
6. I am uncompromisingly optimistic. I honestly believe that so many wonderful things have happened in my life simply because those are the only possibilities I am mentally able to entertain. Along those same lines, I don’t think I will ever win a multi-million dollar Powerball because I can’t visualize it. Well, that and I never buy a ticket because I have books to buy.
7. There is not one thing I dislike about libraries.
8. I have been to Canada, Mexico, and Germany. The first two were for work, and the last as a vacation. I would travel everywhere if I did win a multi-million dollar Powerball.
9. As a child, I spent a lot of time with my grandmother. Her freezer was always stocked with popsicles and ice cream, and I would stuff myself silly every time I visited. I miss her.
10. I can turn my tongue upside down. So can my husband. Since this ability is inherited, my children can do it, too. We are a blast at parties.
11. I hate doing dishes. I have purposefully broken a few in an attempt to weasel out of this particular chore. It didn’t work. Sorry Mom.
12. I want a motorcycle. My husband knows this and thinks I am delusional. I disagree entirely.
13. I have never broken a bone, but once I stepped on a sewing needle and skewered my big toe. All the way through. My kids hate that story.
14. I was called into the principal’s office in eighth grade for a conference with my parents and my algebra teacher because I was not doing my homework. I believed that I shouldn’t have to do homework since I aced all of the tests. My life has since come full circle in that I must now help my children with their homework. This, of course, makes me hate homework even more than I did in eighth grade.
15. I currently have two tattoos and another one planned. My mother does not approve.
16. I can’t stand cooked spinach, asparagus, or anything “creamed.” Why would anyone do that to a perfectly good vegetable?
17. President Ronald Reagan spoke at my high school in 1984 and I flew (then) Senator Barack Obama on the campaign trail for a week before he won the Democratic nomination in 2008.
18. I have a ukulele that I love to play. I took a few lessons from a wonderful and very talented teacher, but stopped going after I got carried away playing and singing along with “Let It Be” in class and was too embarrassed to go back.
19. I recently moved from northern Illinois to central Arizona. It is November 2nd, and I am typing this next to my open porch door wearing a sundress. If I never see snow again, it will be too soon.
20. I am a procrastinator. Case in point, I am writing this at 9:30 p.m. when I had all day to do it. Heck, I could have even started it yesterday if I wasn’t such a huge procrastinator. I have been known to start college papers the day after they were due – I would make up some lame excuse – and stay up all night to write them.
Well, there you have it. Twenty facts about me. Come back tomorrow and I’ll share some thoughts about my favorite quote. Hopefully, I will post it before 10:00 p.m., but no guarantees. I have episodes of Walking Dead to watch.