I bore easily. It’s how I roll. As much as I would love to be paid to sit on a beach every day, I know I would eventually tire of it. It would take a long, long time for that to happen, but trust me, it would happen. Because of this personality quirk, I have many dream jobs. Most of them involve making the most money for as little work as possible – i.e. the American Dream – but none of them are boring.
Here are my top ten:
1. Lifeguard – In Hawaii. But I don’t want to rescue anyone. Too much work.
2. SR-71 Pilot – Those babies are badass. The pilots who fly them are, too. I qualify. In my own mind, at least.
3. Travel Writer – Visit far away places, sample the local cuisine, and write. Heaven. Well, as long as I don’t have to eat insects. That’s not happening.
4. Singer – So far, my only concerts have been in the shower. My cat has nothing nice to say about my performances. Everyone’s a critic.
5. Spy – I know I would suck at this, but the movie True Lies is to blame for my fantasy that this is even remotely possible.
6. Cat Lady – Not actually “a job,” but my son is convinced it’s my calling.
7. Aerobatic Pilot – I would have to get over my tendency to laugh hysterically during maneuvers, but if I can pull off espionage, I can do anything.
8. Dominatrix – As a mother, I’m used to no one doing anything I tell them to do. Ever. This would be a lovely change of pace.
9. Grandmother – Forget the mom gig, too much work for too little reward. Grandmas get to do all the fun stuff with kids: get them all twitchy on sugar, keep them up all night, lavish them with noisy, expensive gifts, and then hand them back to their parents for detox. It’s perfect!
10. Empress – I want to be in charge, but elections are lame. Also, I would rock a tiara.
If you think about it, a writer can be anything they want to be simply by seeing through the eyes of their characters. In other words, I already have my dream job. I’m a writer. Although, Empress Tawn does have a nice ring to it.
Come back tomorrow for Day 5: My Proudest Moment. It should be a good one. I can’t wait to find out what it is.